What is a CNAME and why do I need to use it?
A CNAME is a type of DNS record that you have to create in your domain registrar settings and point it to Clust servers. Once the record points to Clust, you will be able to publish your application portals on your own custom domain in order to provide a seamless experience to your recipients.
My suggestions to make sure it works:
- Set up your CNAME properly and SMTP first, before adding your Sub domain/ SMTP parameters into the Clust set up page.
- Use a subdomain (portal.yourcompany.com) instead of your root domain for a better experience.
- Use one sub domain per team (if you have many)
- Read carefully the steps below to set up your custom domain name.
- In case you need help, do not hesitate to reach out to your developer or IT manager or domain name provider to make sure everything works.
1)Go to your domain registrar and create a CNAME record.
Depending on your provider, you'll need to follow their instructions for creating a CNAME. Reach out to your domain name provider Support team if you're having trouble finding how to do this.
2)Add a CNAME record
In the first field (Host) add your custom domain, in the second field add Clust sub-domain.
In other words to set up your custom domain, e.g. portal.yourcompany.com, (HOST) you need to create a CNAME record pointing to custom.clustdoc.com (VALUE)
3)Set CNAME in Clust
- Login into your Clust account and
- click on your profile Picture>Set up Team, navigate to Custom domain & Email tab on the sidebar.
Enter your custom domain into the field under the Custom domain section and click save.
You'll receive an email when your custom domain is validated. It can take up to 2 hours to propagate.
To be able to use your own SMTP server:
When your custom domain is validated, it will show as 'ACTIVE' on this page in front of Status.
⚠️Please make sure you've entered the correct domain because you won't be able to change it for the next 30 days. ⚠️
My sub-domain is redirecting to my main domain, is this normal?
Yes, you've allocated this sub-domain to Clust, so your sub-domain is used to display your applications or portals. The root sub-domain is however redirecting to your main website as a matter of transparency.